Bill O'Reilly's statement that the Americans who voted for Barack Obama did so because they want "stuff" that Obama can give to them, was so obviously racist that it's hard to believe he still has job. His obvious shell shock that even with all the money and power harnessed by the richest and most powerful people in the country, people came out and stood in line for hours, sometimes in the dark, to vote against the corporations. As a woman who has worked full time for most of my life, who was laid off three years ago and spent the last two years getting a master's degree in social work, but have yet to find a job, and who voted for Obama, I just want to take this opportunity to talk about the "stuff" I want and the stuff I don't want..
The “stuff” I want:
- Meaningful work at a living wage.
- Safe and decent housing.
- Education, free and true.
- Help not incarceration for substance abusers.
- Freedom to marry the person you love.
- Social Security from birth through death.
- Healthcare for all
- Sustainable agriculture
- Sustainable energy policy
- Expansion of mass transit.
- Expansion of locally grown organic food.
- Expansion of cooperatively owned local businesses.
- Equal pay
- Freedom for women to control their bodies.
- An end to war.
- Clean air and water
- Respect for our elders
- Love your neighbor as yourself
- Public television
- Funding for the arts
The “stuff” I don’t want:
2. Nuclear energy.
- Bailouts of banks.
- Bailouts of corporations
- Corporate funding of paramilitaries
- Killing sharks and gorillas and tigers and wolves and anything else
- Cutting down the forests to grow palm oil
- Fomenting unrest in sovereign countries.
- White “political commentators” announcing the end of the world as we know it because democracy worked in spite of all the money and dirty tricks that were used to try and stop it.
- Americans who hide their money to avoid paying taxes.
- Mobil Masterpiece Theater
- Young people dying in wars.